Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Oh to be young

I have this growth and motor development class and I absolutely love it. Part of me loving it might be because i am doing so well in it. But i feel the real reason as to why i love it so much is because it shows how we mature and learn how to do the fundamental motor skills we either can or still can't do to this day.

As i was walking back from im west with chris he asked what i learned in my class today and i think he got more than he was asking for. This is because i told him we learned the 2 stages to walking and the 4 stages to running, jumping, hopping, and 3 stages for skipping, galloping, and sliding. After him telling him that i proceeded to show him all 23 stages. In my class we were shown videos of each kid and what stage they were currently in.

It was awesome to see this kids attempted these skills. The kids in the video were so full of life and so happy to be running and attemping to skip but really not skipping at all and almost fall over hopping.

Mostly what i was thinking while i was watching this was how innocent and care-free these kids truly are. I remember way back when i was younger i would just be hanging out with my mom all day riding my exercise bike, commentating playing basketball (those 2 for those who have seen my kid videos) and basically doing whatever i wanted and not thinking about how sick the grass really is going to taste when i eat it out of the ground. It was so great being a kid, not worrying about if a bug is on you or what people think of you if you eat your own boogers or whatever it may be. You just live the day for the day and thats it.

Now that i am no longer a child or even a teen and going on 21 i feel that is gone. My choices almost get scutinized by others and i find myself not doing the same things like commentating basketball or eating grass (probably better). i will say i do still somewhat commentate video games haha. At the same time i really shouldn't care what other people think and that comes and goes.

for example lifting in im west with chris. We would have never done that as a kid, what kid lifts to feel good or look good. But as we grow older and our metabolisms slow down we lose the ability to run around and do whatever we want not getting tired so we have to do these things. I enjoy lifting very much however its a stress reliever and it makes me feel good and strong and will ultimately help me later in life.

That last sentence pretty much sums this blog up. All the things i do now: running, tennis, basketball, lifting, frisbee, ultimate will all help me later in life. At the root of all of these things are the fundamental motor skills. As we continue to be a part of these physical activities the longer into life these abilities will last. It's not as easy as being 7 and doing whatever you want and still being able to do things. This is a must to stay healthy now-a-days as i am 20. So i am thankful that God has blessed me with these fundamental motor skills and the abilities to do what i do at the level i can do them at.

If your interested to see what stage you do things at let me know i can test you!!

God Bless!

No comments: